Filters is a composite component that filters the items of a list or table.
Merchants use filters to:
- view different subsets of items in a list or table
- filter by typing into a text field
- filter by selecting filters or promoted filters
The way that merchants interact with filters depends on the components that you decide to incorporate. In its simplest form, filters includes a text field and a set of filters, which can be displayed in different ways. For example, you could show promoted filters and a More button that opens a sheet containing more filters. What the filters are and how they’re exposed to merchants is flexible.
The filters component relies on the accessibility features of multiple other components:
Maintain accessibility with custom features
Since custom HTML can be passed to the component for additional actions, ensure that the filtering system you build is accessible as a whole.
All merchants must:
- be able to identify and understand labels for all controls
- be notified of state changes
- be able to complete all actions with the keyboard
The filters component should:
- help reduce merchant effort by promoting the filtering categories that are most commonly used
- include no more than 2 or 3 promoted filters
- consider small screen sizes when designing the interface for each filter and the total number filters to include
- use children only for content that’s related or relevant to filtering
The text field should be clearly labeled so it’s obvious to merchants what they should enter into the field.
Enter text here
Use the name of the filter if the purpose of the name is clear on its own. For example, when you see a filter badge that reads Fulfilled, it’s intuitive that it falls under the Fulfillment status category.
Fulfillment: Fulfilled, Unfulfilled
If the filter name is ambiguous on its own, add a descriptive word related to the status. For example, Low doesn’t make sense out of context. Add the word “risk” so that merchants know it’s from the Risk category.
High risk, Low risk
Group tags from the same category together.
If all tag pills selected: truncate in the middle
Paid, par… unpaid
All payment status filters selected, Paid, unpa…