Keyboard key is used to educate merchants about keyboard shortcuts.
Use to list a related set of keyboard shortcuts.
The keyboard key component should:
- Include a heading to introduce and explain the shortcuts being described when more than one shortcut is listed
- Include an action label to describe what will happen if merchants use the key combination
Headings above the keyboard key should:
- Label the type of keyboard shortcuts being presented
- Follow the content guidelines for headings and subheadings
The shortcut description should describe what action is taken when merchants tap certain keys. When a hotkey combination takes merchants to a location in the interface, the format should be:
|children||string||The content to display inside the key|
- To add a tooltip for a button with an associated keyboard shortcut, use the tooltip component
See Material Design and development documentation about accessibility for Android:
See Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines and API documentation about accessibility for iOS:
The text of the keyboard key component is read by screen readers, but the visual formatting isn’t conveyed. Ensure that merchants are able to understand information about keyboard shortcuts without relying on the visual style of the component.
- Pair lists of keyboard shortcut information with a heading that describes the section (“Keyboard shortcuts”).
- Provide inline keyboard instructions with context.
Press the <KeyboardKey>Ctrl</KeyboardKey> key.
- Use the keyboard key component alone to convey keyboard instructions.